2020 will be the inaugural year for this new GrapeHops tour in Bulgaria. It is very exciting. This is not a country that is on many people’s radar, but that is about to change. Bulgaria has a rich history, beautiful landscapes, interesting folklore and excellent wines. The winemaking history in Bulgaria goes back over 5000 years! The winemakers in our time are very proud of their heritage, and rightly so.
On our 10-day tour, we will start in the capital city of Sofia for a couple of nights before moving south to the Melnik region. We will then pass through the Rila Mountains to get to the Thracian Lowlands and our base in the city of Plovdiv for several days of exploring. Our final night will be spent back in Sofia to make departures easier.
Bulgaria is big, so we spend a bit more time getting from place to place than on other tours, and have shorter hotel stays. But we will do our best to make the journeys as comfortable as possible.
Some highlights of the trip:
- A guided city tour in Sofia, with some wine tasting along the way
- Visits to wineries in the Melnik, Sakar, and Thracian Lowlands winegrowing areas
- Visits to the Rila Monastery, the Thracian treasure museum in Panagyurishte, and the village of Dositeevo
- A stay at the Relais & Châteaux collection Zornitza Estate Winery & Hotel
- Exploration of Bulgarian foods, from cutting edge modern to uber-traditional
- A guided city tour in Plovdiv, 2019 European Capital of Culture
- Dinners at some of Sofia and Plovdiv’s best restaurants
- And much more
To reserve your spot, e-mail Shannon@GrapeHops.com or call (805) 886-1551.